Sunbathing

On Sunday we went with Klaske, Mael, Ellie, Debbie and Daniel to a local swimming hole - a man-made lake. (The lake was made by scooping out all the sand to make bricks for housing.)
We were so surprised when we saw a long row of vehicles parked on the roadside even before we got to the lake. We were still thinking with New Zealand brains - a lake with a few people having a picnic. But no! There were rows and rows of bikes after the cars, a fenced off area to the lake and then the biggest surprise of all - hundreds of people all wearing tiny bikinis sunbathing on the lawn in front of the water or on the sand around the corner. I know that doesn't really sound surprising but it came as a shock really because up until that day it had been between 10-14 degrees C and I think in New Zealand not that many people would be wearing a bikini this early in spring and most people would usually just go to the beach or lake to sit around and eat, play ball, maybe read - but stay covered up unless swimming. But it really looked as though everyone was only there to get a tan. I suppose our sun in NZ is so much harsher than it is here. I really liked how almost every woman there wore a tiny bikini no matter what her body type was. So, bikinis aren't just for the young and trim! How refreshing!


Noa lounging in the shade

Fern looking cool

And Josh looking hot
 Sorry I didn't take any photos of the hundreds of almost naked people..hehe. Another time. ;)


Previously that morning Josh managed to get the inflatable kayaks pumped up that we had bought months ago and stored at Daniel's place. After strapping them to the roof and driving to the centre of town we finally found a place to launch (after being told sternly where we weren't allowed to launch) and took our first spin in the inflatables. They are quite large and comfy to sit in but not easy at all to manoeuvre in the water. I spent most of the time back paddling trying to go in the direction I wanted to. It was so irritating! I kept telling myself to try and be happy - look where I was! But in the mean-time I was either getting saturated with mucky canal water by Phoebe who was in paddleing in front or myself because my seat made me sit down too low in the boat, or going around in circles. Josh was being very patient with me as he was effortlessly gliding through the water without a problem. Grr!






But it really was very beautiful and we might try and get on the water again this afternoon. Josh found a little attachable rudder which might help some!

Comments

  1. So n8ce to read all you're story's about all the adventures and trips you made here in Holland

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun times, and no capsizes in the kayaks...great job !😄

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Indonesia - the most friendly place in the world

On the Road again